Module 1: School Poetry

 

What a Day it Was at School!



 Bibliography

Prelutsky, Jack. (2006). What a day it was at school! Pictures by Doug Cushman. Greenwillow Books. ISBN: 9780060823351



Summary

What a Day it Was at School! is a collection of 17 poems about many different subjects, things, or activities students experience throughout the school day.  The collection of poems are all written by well-known poet Jack Prelutsky.  There is a table of contents at the beginning of the book that allows readers to observe the poem titles and the pages on which to find them.  Some themes include homework, field trips, spelling tests, the library, the cafeteria, math, history, visiting the school nurse and even having to write a poem.  All the poems are relatable for students in elementary school or even middle school, and they are written with fun and humor at the forefront.

 

Analysis

Each poem has a two-page layout with colorful cartoon pictures.  The style and look of the pictures definitely will appeal more to elementary-aged students even though middle school students could relate to the poem content.  The pictures do a wonderful job of creating a visual to go along with each poem while also keeping the reader interested with animal characters acting like humans throughout the book. 

The poems have a similar rhythm throughout the book and consistently rhyme the even lines of each poem.  The lines are fairly short which helps the reader keep the rhythm while also encouraging the use of white space for the book pictures.  The author makes sure to use words and vocabulary that is familiar to the intended audience while also incorporating a few words in each poem that could be used to stretch the reader’s vocabulary a bit as well.  Words used in the poems like vanquish, infirmary, anecdotes, dismay, and reverberations could be great words to define and introduce to student vocabulary. 

The author focuses on appealing to the reader’s senses and emotions throughout the collection.  Each poem will allow students to feel like they are experiencing the situations with the author or remind them of a time they were put in that situation themselves.  Whether it is lugging around a heavy backpack, embarrassing themselves in class, struggling on a test or with an assignment, or even creating something they are proud of students will see themselves in these typical school scenarios.  This is all done with a dose of silliness and humor that will keep students reading through the very last poem.

 

 

Poem

I Wish I’d Studied Harrder

I wish I’d studied harrder

For our spellink test today,

I’m sorrie that I didn’t,

Now I’m feeling some dismaye

I’d like to get a passing graid,

But don’t beleeve I will –

I think I got Whyoming wrong,

And Chyna, and Brazill.

 

Though I don’t want to make misteaks,

I make them awl the same,

It’s no one else’s fawlt but mine,

I have to take the blaime,

I tried to spell Cunneddykit,

But really, I just gessed…

If I had stoodied harder

Then I mite have passed this test.

 

Activity

This specific poem could be used with upper elementary students (3rd – 5th) to discuss study habits and consequences that can occur because of not taking the time to study.  After discussing study habits, consequences, and taking responsibility for actions/learning with a partner and then sharing thoughts as a class students may enjoy hunting for and highlighting all the misspelled words used throughout the poem with their partners.  This will allow students to read the poem aloud themselves as they search.

Comments

  1. “I Wish I’d Studied Harrder” is such a clever pick, and your class activity suggestion around study habits is brilliant. What a great way to connect poetry with real-life skills! I'll share this with my homeschool students next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Module 6: Poetry Book Written by a Child, Children, or Teens